Thursday, March 08, 2007

Is it possible to push Spring along a little bit?


We're doing our best here. I need to find out if there is a Spring dance...like a rain dance, only, I don't want rain. I want Spring!

I was in an odd mood today and decided to make a cake. I wasn't feeling odd enough to actually READ the directions thoroughly before starting. And so, in my normal, hodge podge manner, I began to follow a recipe for "Light-N-Lucious Lemon Pave". What the heck is a Pave anyhow? And who decided it needed 9 eggs, all separated? Also, why did I choose a recipe that called for both a double boiler and a jelly roll pan that was lined in wax paper, greased, AND floured. A bit overkill if you ask me. But the thin little cake didn't stick, which was a glorious thing, because if I had spent 4 hours mixing a cake that stuck to a pan, it would have surely ruined my day.

This cake has a rich luscious (just like the name says) lemon filling, and a wonderously sweet and creamy lemon buttercream icing. It has 621 calories per serving. But that is okay, because half way through the recipe, I realized it callled for heavy whipping cream, of which I had none. I also had no gas in the van. So I piled the kids in their coats and we walked to the store. Surely I burned enough extra calories to be able to deserve a piece of cake.

I declare this to be the last time I ever make this recipe. marcus and weston, however, have already devoured the picture slice and say that I must make it "every time" they licked their lips and said they would never eat dinner again. "only yummy lemon and strawberry cake."

I think I need to teach them how to cook.


4 Eggs -- Separated
3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3/4 Cup Cake Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

**Lemon Filling**

5 Egg Yolks
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
4 Tablespoons Butter Or Margarine
1 Teaspoon Grated Fresh Lemon Peel
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream

Preparation:
Place egg whites in bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip. Turn to speed 8 and whip until stiff but not dry.
Remove from bowl and set aside.
Place egg yolks and sugar in bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip. Turn to speed 6 and whip 1 minute or until thick and lemon colored. Stop and scrape bowl.
Add oil and vanilla. Turn to speed 4 and whip 30 seconds.
Gently fold egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
Fold half of flour mixture into egg mixture. Repeat with remaining flour.
Pour batter into a 10x15x1-inch jelly roll pan which has been lined with waxed paper, greased and floured.
Bake at 375 F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Immediately loosen cake from pan and invert onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar; cool completely.
Cut cake crosswise to form three 5x10x1-inch layers.
Spread Lemon filling between layers.
Cover cake tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at leat 4 hours.
Frost and decorate with Lemon butter cream frosting.

LEMON FILLING:
Combine egg yolks, sugar, and lemon juice in double broiler over boiling water.
Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is very thick, about 5 minutes; do not boil.
Remove from heat.
Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until thoroughly incorporated.
Stir in lemon peel.
Cover mixture and refrigerate 1 hour.
Place cream in bowl. Attach bowl and wire whip. Turn to speed 10 and whip until stiff.
Fold whipped cream into egg mixture. Refrigerate until ready to use.

LEMON BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
1 1/4 cups butter (softened)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
3 TBS lemon juice
3 Cups powdered sugar

Place butter, lemon peel, and lemon juice in mixer bowl.
Beat on speed 6 for 30 seconds
Stop and scrape bowl
Sift powdered sugar into the bowl
Turn to speed six and beat until fuffy (about 2 minutes)

No comments: