Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Just a few pictures of my favorite things

Books To the Ceiling
By: Arnold Lobel

Books to the ceiling
Books to the sky
My piles of books are a mile high
How I love them
How I need them
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them







I have a severe book addiction, and these are only a few of my favorite piles. Three are kid piles, and the rest are mine- all mine. As I write, Dustan is off gathering a few new shelves I gleamed from the side of the road. I always need new shelves for more books.
One time, when I went insane, I decided I had too many books. I decided that the books took up too much room, and that I needed to purge. I still get sick to my stomach thinking about all the books I gave away. I gave them away because I didn't like them, or they were books I didn't want to re-read. Ugh. How could I have forgotten that just the sight of a pile of books gives my heart a little trill. A little thump. I need to know that I am surrounded by books, it makes me feel happy and safe. I once told someone that I felt safe being surrounded by books, and they laughed at me. Told me that an alarm system would be better. I threw a book at him. He was just glad I had chosen a Calvin and Hobbes treasury instead of a dictionary.

No comments: