Saturday, October 21, 2006
Cookies? For breakfast????
I was hailed as "best mommy ever" today. It always feels good when that happens, especially considering that I have been in a bit of a funk lately and have not been the best mommy ever. But cookies fix all that is wrong in the world, and cookies for breakfast was such a novelty that I can almost guarantee my "best mother" status for at leat 10 minutes!
I figured that these cookies had to at least be as healthy as most cold cereals or packaged sweetened oatmeal. They were easy to make and super yummy.
CRANBERRY OATMEAL COOKIES
1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 TBS baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C+ 2 TBS butter (unsalted)
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 Cup old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup of craisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a small bowl. combine wheat flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In medium bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
4. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until just mixed. Stir in the oats. Fold in the nuts and cranberries and craisins.
5. Drop by spoonfuls onto a non-stick baking pan. 2 in. apart.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes. Trasfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in sealed container.
I didn't have any vanilla extract (because I am ultra vanilla picky and won't buy grocery store vanilla). I also didn't have any fresh cranberries and so I just put in a full cup of crasins.
I also doubled the recipe because I have a habit of doubling everything. Less than twice the work, but twice the results!