Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fall is Back

To celebrate the return of Fall, here is a poem written by my amazing 7 year old.

Fall is Coming

At first it was sunnier
And brighter
And shinier
Bluer

And then it got chillier
And darker
Very much
Earlier.

Here is a frugal breakfast recipe for you to try. I make this the day after a rice meal -last night we had stir fry...I mean, Dustan and I had stir fry. The kids had buttered rice, because they have this thing against mixed up vegetables.

Rice Pudding
3 Cups of cooked Rice (I use brown)
3 cups of milk + 3/4 cup of milk
2/3 Cup of white sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 TBS butter
cinnamon to taste
Raisins to taste
vanilla to taste

In a saucepan, heat rice and 3 cups of milk to a slow boil. Add sugar and salt.
Cook until creamy (about 30 minutes)
Mix eggs and remaining milk
When rice is cooked down to a nice creamy state, add milk and egg mixture stirring constantly.
Add remaining ingredients and cook for 2 additional minutes (stirring constantly)

Serve hot. You can add whatever ingredients to taste that you want. I bet a banana pecan flavor would be good.

I will leave you with a picture of my yard that has been overtaken by blackbirds (are they starlings?). Their chatter is amazingly loud. The front and back yard were both COVERED in the little pesky birds (half of them flew away when I went to snap their picture). It was neat to watch them swoop down and away- all in unison, as if they were one creature. It was like watching a chorographed dance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love love love the poem from the brilliantly creative 7 year old who I love love love, too.